Wanted: one Veto-Man!
.Nobody likes to have salary/privileges cut, so it’s not surprising that first reactions to Walkers budget cuts in March 2011 included rebellion and threats of recall.
But beyond the initial frustration of living through budget and bargaining privilege cuts, recallers should consider where a recall would steer us.
Suppose the recall is successful; what happens next?
Will the recession go away?
What politician would consider the politically suicidal prospect of governing with both legislatures controlled by the opposition? Little other than a long list of vetoes would head his/her potential portfolio of accomplishments.
Is there a delusional narcissist, a fictional masochistic super hero to be found in Wisconsin who would find this proposition attractive?
Classifieds: WANTED: One Veto-Man!
Recallers are already struggling to find a replacement.
Russ Feingold has already said no.
Further down the line
What other jobs would the Governor’s replacement face?
If no cuts, what, tax the rich?
Answer: won’t work– see Don’t Kill the Cow.
Besides, the legislature won’t let you. It’s Republican, remember?
Tax the rest of non-public-union Wisconsin?
Much of Wisconsin has already suffered cuts. Many UW Madison (non-union) employees have had the equivalent of 15% salary cuts in two years, as well as no cost of living increases for as many as 7 years (equivalent to loss of 18% of salary). That makes a total income reduction 33% for some non-public union Wisconsin families. Taxing or cutting these people more to maintain union privileges will NOT make a Walker replacement any more popular than Governor Walker. These people want the unions to share the sacrifices the rest of Wisconsin is making.
Gotta face what the unions and 14 Dems did in March:
While 14 Dems helped to delay Walker’s budget and to delay collective bargaining cuts, unions renegotiated contracts and obtained more (expensive) benefits. Now, just 6 months later, one single school’s (Madison Prep’s), $17 million budget has increased by $10 million as a result, and the Madison Prep project may fail because they cannot afford to pay the teacher’s the new contract salaries and benefits.
Even the Los Angeles Times advises Wisconsin not to recall Walker.
California’s 2003 recall was apparently disastrous for California. Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports on the LA Times article:
Davis didn’t violate any laws, nor was he found guilty of misconduct in office. But he allowed the state’s vehicle license fee, which had been slashed, to revert to its former level.
This sent California voters over the edge. Davis was recalled, and voters elected “The Terminator” Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican, to take his place. Schwarzenegger ended the car tax but didn’t have anything in its place to make up for the lost revenue.
If you recall Walker, you have to face AFTER Walker.
Nobody wants the job Walker is doing: curbing out of control spending by wishful but unrealistic radicals who have not done the math. (click here for The Math)
For a Democrat, this would be political suicide.
Responsible Wisconsin supports Walker.
Related Article, 7/27/13: